View Single Post
      03-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Not sure what to say about that, but I will say that if you swap the sunroof out of the F10 M5 with an aftermarket Carbon Roof, you will drop 66lbs from the vehicle. Wish M would've given the F90 Carbon Core at least, to really lighten the chassis up. I suspect that if the next gen G90 M5 really does go hybrid, then it could be even heavier still with that added battery pack. Other than weight, it seems to me that the new E63S and F90 M5 are closer than ever in performance.
Once you go after market, you can get large weight losses. There would probably be hood and trunk swaps to carbon fiber too. (Or simply take out the rear seats, for that matter).

I think it is inevitable that the 2024 E63 and M5 would at least have a mild hybrid system, if not a full plug-in hybrid, because of ever tightening emissions and CAFE standards. Mercedes is already doing this with their AMG 53 line (20+hp starter that can double as a electric motor for coasting, etc...), and the top-end AMG 73 line is rumored to have a 700+ hp hybrid monster of a drive train. The top-end Porsche Panamera (Turbo S) is now a hybrid as well.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52855.50