12-05-2023, 04:37 PM   #4
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo_carName View Post
Hello all - I am wondering if anyone knows which company makes the quietest catback for the f90 platform that has little to no drone at highway speeds. (When the exhaust valves are closed)

I drove the car stock for the first 5000 or so miles of ownership and decided that this car deserves to have a louder exhaust. Ended up doing some research and found that catless secondary downpipes are a cheap and easy solution to this problem, so I had them installed. Although the secondaries did increase the exhaust volume a little, it mostly showed me just how useless the stock exhaust valves are. Seriously, there is very little difference between valves open and valves closed in my opinion. Additionally, against what anyone else says, there is a solid drone at around 1800-2100rpm (75-85mph in 8th) which is a little annoying since the car is whisper quiet at other rpms.

I looked into a few companies (AWE and GTHaus seem to stand out the most), but I am unsure if those would only make things worse since they do not have resonators. Does anyone with these exhausts notice a bad drone at highway speeds?
most people do awe/eisenmann race/ gthaus sgt. but they are basically straight pipe and likely makes the drone worse.

Remus is like straightpipe except theres 1 helmholtz resonators on each side, which gets rid of low freq sounds like drone. But it gets obnoxiously loud + raspy when u start touching primary cats. This is because its a "True dual" setup. No H pipe no x pipe

or get any valved exhausts like fabspeed, gthaus GTC, Fi, Mad, valvtronic, ipe, armytrix.
These can go quieter or quiet as oem when the valve is closed, but never recommend going full throttle with closed valve setting.
depending on the brand and how they engineered their muffler, theres gonna be a lot of backpressure, and u dont want that went the car is revving out.

Akra is just expensive just minimal sound increase + very refined sound (not tinny, raspy, and cheap sounding). but the valve function is noticable than oem.

Dinan exhaust is copy of akra. minimal sound increase.

also if u want a higher pitch smooth exotic tone go with a setup with an x pipe. (eisenmann, awe, fi, valvtronic, gthaus)

If u r looking for a v8 growl go for a setup that has H pipe for the mid pipe. (Mpe, Akra)