View Single Post
      11-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Very well written post, now that’s what is expected from a enthusiast. What’s the advantage of using a steel break line. How much the stealerrship takes for this procedure
Yeah, like ryansbmw said, the lines are to prevent expansion of the stock lines or melting when racing your 2.5 ton SAV on the track lol. I suppose it's overkill, but at some point the stock lines will get old and brittle like all other rubber and need replacing. I see it as preventative maintenance and an aesthetic upgrade...I doubt I'll be racing around a track anytime soon or worrying about the rubber lines melting when my brake fluid starts boiling.

and like philly 42 said, the stealership won't run the ABS unless necessary during a swap. I had to run the ABS using a scanner to remove the air that got into the lines. I bled the brakes four times before calling it a day and ordering the scanner...that's how I know you can bleed the brakes with the tires on the ground lol.

The dealer also won't swap your lines for anything but stock. I haven't gotten a quote from anyone on brake line swap pricing, but I imagine it would be around $500-600 for just the normal caliper lines and maybe $1100-1300 for the all 6 lines since you'd have to drop the exhaust and differential. It's a lot of labor. I was quoted $300 just to bleed the brakes using INPA from an Indy Shop.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0