View Single Post
      09-14-2022, 11:53 AM   #58
VINCER0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
Consistent use of a Top Tier gas is the most important. Premium branded fuels (Shell, Exxon, etc.) have the added benefit of very quick clean up for both IVD and GDI injectors in as little as 1 tank with today's additive technology.

My general recommendation is to use Top Tier fuel with the appropriate octane for your vehicle. If you frequent cheap, unbranded stations to save pennies then use an aftermarket additive bottle or run 1-2 tanks of Shell/Exxon premium every ~5 tanks.
Quote:
Premium fuel is at minimum higher octane and more often than not has a higher additive treat rate. This is particularly true for branded fuel stations (Shell, Exxon, BP, etc.) where the maingrade 87 octane is a Top Tier treat rate and the premium 93 octane is 1.5x or 2x the Top Tier treat rate. Unbranded fuels (7-11, Wawa, etc.) might use the same LAC treat rate in their premium fuels, my direct knowledge is focused on branded fuels.
Quote:
I work for an additive company in our fuels division so I have direct knowledge of additive technology, performance, and treat rates for many fuel companies. Whenever this topic comes up I try to carefully comment to share my knowledge and teach others without giving away specifics that would be frowned upon.

Using a higher octane rating than recommended is a waste of money, yes. This is very well known. Engine controls are so sophisticated these days that they will adjust to preserve the engine despite whatever fuel you put in, to a degree. Some manufacturers now even give power ratings based on fuel octane used, see the new Ford Bronco 2.3L and 2.7L specs.

My comments are mostly around additives and their treat rates. I'm constantly amazed at how people have strong opinions with little to no actual knowledge or data. Additives are not snake oil, there is an entire industry for fuel additives and the EPA has a minimum amount required because they work to reduce deposits. Additives do make a significant difference in performance and there are millions of dollars spent by many companies to generate data to support their marketing claims.
Well said, thank you for sharing your expert knowledge with us.

Last edited by VINCER0; 09-14-2022 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0