View Single Post
      05-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #22
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Having tracked my 2018 M5 extensively, there are some tips and tricks I agree and disagree with above.

Details:

1. When pushed REAL hard, DSC fully off will put you backwards and sideways QUICK unless you are a real expert. I've been doing this 20 years and I'm no expert at 600 hp tiptoeing around really tight turns with a 4800 pound car. Being backwards in the grass in turn 3 at VIR while pursing a pretty fast 911 reminded me of the benefits of M dynamic mode.

2. The rear pads, OEM, are garbage especially with M dynamic mode. I can't remember how many sets of rear pads I've now replaced. And getting the right tool to do so was a long search to make sure I didn't do something stupid. Make sure you get the right MECHANICAL tool, and if you're a whiz at electronic stuff go for trying to find the right tool to do it. None of the OBDII tools I could buy affordably can retract the motors. I'm told it can be done other ways, but the mechanical is the SUREFIRE way to do it without damage.

3. The brake cooling in the front WORKS WELL. The OEM pads will last well. I have now used several pads from RacingBrake, the only track capable pads available in the U.S., and they are better than stock. The European pads from BMW can be imported, for about $700 for fronts. A lot.

The brake fade compensation in the car makes the brakes seem much, much better than they really are. Long term track goers will notice the pedal moving around. It's kinda weird.

4. The Pilot 4S's are decent. The Sport Cup 2's are better. Toyo R888R's are much better, but holy mother of pearl the noise. Randy Pobst came to my garage to tell me that one of my diffs had to be failing it was so bad.

Best tires I've run so far - Toyo Proxes RR's. Durability and traction blow the Sport Cup 2's out of the water.

5. The M2 is stated above as a better track car. If you have a handling only track - maybe. If you're on a power track....well. If you don't mind being passed by a bargain basement Corvette go for it. I have a 2018 M2 that I have tracked same day as my M5. The M5 does MUCH MUCH better on power tracks. My experience at VIR vs. M2's on track is roughly a murder scene. I can keep with them fairly well in the twisties, and they become a hood ornament on the straigtaways. I'll take the M5 sir.

6. Finding adequate restraints for frequent track use has been a shit experience. The sport seats in the M5 CS will make this much easier, but 4 points may be the best we can do. This beast can turn a corner much faster than the OEM restraints can handle. We need proper seats with passthroughs. The stupid Supra has proper passthroughs in the OEM seats. What was BMW thinking without offering some sort of sport seat? The M3 and M4 optional seats looks proper for this, and the ones in the M5 CS look like the same. We'll see

7. Do replace the brake fluid. Castrol SRF is the best. I've used it and Endless. The fade compensation comes in the least with the SRF.

8. Be prepared for front end and windshield damage - tire worm and bug impacts at 150mph can crack the windshield and dent the hood pretty well. This beast can generate those speeds pretty handily. You wanna keep it in pristine shape? Not the sport for you.

Shawn
Appreciate 11