Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
IÂ’ve driven the M5 comp, M2 comp, m3 comp, m4 comp, and finally the m8 all on the circuit of AmericaÂ’s. What makes a good track car and a good daily driver is somewhat at odds.

the M5 is a great luxury/performance sedan that acquits itself well on the track. I would choose an m2 comp as an actual track car as itÂ’s a performance/luxury car (in that order). The m2 is a better teaching/learning tool. Without awd the m2forces you to be smoother, and more careful in throttle application especially out of turns where the M5 and m8 are more forgiving of too much throttle (but your going slower). The M5 is so smooth and forgiving (luxury) that itÂ’s easy to not notice as quickly that your over applying throttle while exiting the corner and now your slightly under steering. It also takes a lot of initial braking to settle that heavy front end in sweepers. Where as the m2 comp you know exactly when you applied to much throttle, the feed back is mucH more immediate and obvious. So IÂ’m comparing the 2 cars because for track purposes I want my m5 to be more like the m2. I would evolve the m5 to have the characteristic I like in the m2.

The mods I believe the M5 needs are as follows for better tracking. Weight loss, better tires, clear bra or similar to protect your paint, fire extinguisher mount, and a 6 point harness seat and your ready for most competition. Lowering is not necessary, carbon ceramics are not necessary (cast iron is cheaper when your rotors need replacement from warping). Heat doesnÂ’t seem to be an issue, IÂ’ve driven it under race conditions in 95 degree heat. The interior mods will compromise the car for daily use. So IÂ’m in the camp, a daily is not a track car. Better to have a dedicated track car and a daily as the environments are radically different. With the super low speed limits, traffic, bad pavement and gentle corners you never even come close to the limits of a modern vehicle.

I do run races in my 2016 550i xdrive. I do miss the hydraulic steering in the old bmws... I like open road races vs track days, which is a different kind of driving (less braking)
Appreciate 0