07-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
My posts rarely make sense, I hope this is better.

I am thinking about an x-pipe with an Akrapovic slip on. I don't want it too loud, but definitely louder than stock. That's why I want the Akra slip on, no Eisenmann race for me. I want a bit more power, that's why I want an x-pipe, but I do not want to tune my ECU thus I want an x-pipe that throws few if any CELs. I have read AA with the new HFCs will accomplish this.

The thing is I have never tuned any of my previous cars, so I am hoping some experienced members of this forum will help.

For me my priorities are.

1) Noise; a little more than OEM, but not enough to make a middle aged man loose his mind while driving and not enough to wake up the neighbors every day. I know I like the way the Akra sounds and I know it's loudness is not too much, that's why I want an Akra.

2) Power. 10-15 hp would be great. probably won't change my driving pleasure much, but... I know this would mostly come from the X-pipe.

3) No CEL's. No F^%ing around with the ECU, no unbearable exhaust smells, no fake sensors fooling the system so I want an X-Pipe with Good Cat's (AA?)

4) Weight savings. Again points to Akra.

5) Looks. I hardly care but the Akra looks ok to me.

6) Cost, spent a ton on the car, don't care about a few grand here or there to make it perfect for me.

So I figured my situation was pretty similar to the OP's, but I didn't make myself clear, hopefully this is more understandable.

If people who know these things say that an AA x-pipe with Akra slip on will be too loud I'll probably just buy the Akra slip on for better sound. I guess I'll never miss the 3-5% increase in power from an x-pipe, but I would like to tell myself my investment yields more than just noise.
You could always go custom, maybe? Buy a OEM X-pipe (there are a few floating around right now on sale) and cut out the secondary cats. It will have some gains, be slightly louder but not unbearably, and trigger no CELS. All a shop has to do is take out your secondary cats and weld in a straight piece of stainless steel piping where it used to be. As long as your welder does his measuring, cutting, and welding right, it will have OEM-esque fitment. No quality like OEM quality.
Appreciate 0