View Single Post
      01-04-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
e92hunter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
It is interesting how European magazines and reviewers can't levy enough praise on the car, but the U.S. mags and reviewers are so tepid on it. Both Car and Driver and Road and Track were "meh" on the car, Jason Cammisa said "i should have a smile on my face while i'm driving this, and i don't", and the Straight Pipes guys were a bit iffy on it as Jacob said "an M2 CS was still way better than this".

Obviously there have been over the the top US reviews in some case, but generally its been tepid like this C&D article. Jethro Bovington from Evo/Top Gear USA pointed this out on twitter as well.

It would be good to hear from some M5 CS owners on why this may be the case, what is getting lost in translation and why some US mags don't see such a big difference between the M5C and the CS.
Jason Cammisa seems to argue that going for outright power and speed is a losing game - the Plaid and all future EV performance models will destroy any stock ICE car. Thus manufacturers should focus more on the intangibles that can't be read on paper but has to be felt - emotional response drawn from a sweet sounding engine or the dynamic feel a certain car gives you.

Personally, I love my F90 and can't say a single bad thing about it since it's "perfect" as a car. I don't want an imperfect car for the sake of creating some buzzword nonsense about emotion.

Some reviewers seem to lean heavily on cars with "character flaws" as being a personality, i.e. Hellcats with traction issues are rowdy and fun even though they don't get anywhere burning rubber. Or the CT5VBW bringing a manual transmission (and look past the dowdy interior on a $80-100k car).

I've had Porsches that were considered God's gift to men and I genuinely loved driving them BUT I feel the F90 is much more well rounded at half the price!
Appreciate 3
eman45171708.00
Simon H874.50
jmack1231300.50