View Single Post
      05-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #51
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Unfortunately my last few post here have not been overly positive (and that's only when I care enough to even post) and I guess this is going to be more of the same......

1. Why the hell is BMW, the brand that ten years ago made cars that sounded the same or better than an Italian exotic, the only German manufacturer left that can't make a decent sounding valve exhaust (with button to open and close) on their M cars? MB have sounded good for years (just a different brand of sound), Audi has been making great sounding valved exhaust for their cars at least as far back as my friends old V8 RS5, and my 991 has one of the BEST German OEM exhaust out there IMO. And here with are with BMW releasing their new M5 with the same old moter and its the same old BS junk stock exhaust, better junk comp package exhaust, or spend the value of a new Carolla for the "M Performance Exhaust" (lol). This is a huge fault for me as ten years ago BMW taught me sound was one of the #1 emotional connections to a car.

2. AT THIS POINT WE ALL KNOW THE COMP PACKAGE IS COMING AND PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY WHAT IT WILL HAVE (because other than stupid trim pieces it's always the same). What the hell is the reason to wait one single model year to put it out other than screwing loyal customers who aren't as in tune with the brand!?!? It's time to do like MB and release the comp package along side the "normal M" (since we have to pay extra for the comp package for what used to be a normal M) and let's preferable not wait until damn near LCI time to do it!

Sad to say but it's looking like very soon will be the first time since I was able to afford a BMW I won't have one in my garage. I really would love one but they are just straying too far from what made me lust after them as a kid and fall in love with them once I could afford one.
Well it is clear that BMW is simply following the Apple model of releasing something "new" every year and playing on people's emotion to get the sale. Substance is secondary. I suspect a lot of "fans" will buy this just for the badge on the back.

Ironically as you mentioned, Mercedes-AMG who I would expect to go this route have not at all gone this route and are actually doing the opposite. Putting out models with substantive changes and being very transparent and telling us "don't wait for the next best thing because it's not actually coming." Their recent c63 facelift was basicly nothing which was pleasantly surprising and current c63 owners don't have to feel like they are driving yesterdays car.

I think this is because Mercedes AMG has a strong personality running the show for so many years now (Tobias Moers) and he has kept a steady hand on the brand and made it more and more enthusiast friendly while BMW M has gone from enthusiast friendly to corporate greed in the vw/Audi style. Shame
RPiM52873.00