View Single Post
      12-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #32
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
The top of the windshield seems to be a weak point in our M5s.

My first windshield cracked from the top, dead center, and doing an inverted Y around the cameras to extend on each side about halfway height.

I got it replaced and less than 1 month later, another crack from the top, passenger side, exactly like your photo.

I didn’t get any rock either for both of them.

For both occurrences, it happened while I was doing HPDE at the track, in between sessions.

What I find somewhat strange is that there is absolutely no protection at the very top of the windshield, like a small rubber strip to protect that very sharp edge.
Same thing here!

I was driving down the road and hit a frost bump in our shitty roads, I heard a crack noise, no one in front of me, no rock chip. When I got home, the windshield was cracked dead centre down the middle.

It took it to the dealer, at first the service people at the front wouldn’t do much. It took some talking to get someone out of their office to actually look at it and feel it… no chip nothing, completely smooth. She said ya and put it through, BMW warranty covered it.

I think there is a flaw in the top of the windshield in how it’s made or weak point, perhaps some flex in the body. I had the suspension in sport plus mode at the time, so it was riding firm. One thing I did notice was a ridge on either side of the crack on the very top of the glass, could be a manufacturing imperfection which causes a weak point.
Appreciate 1