Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Just to give everyone an update here, the Porterfield R4S failed on me only a couple of months in. Ended up cracking a pad during a canyon run from over heating the pad. I would not recommend it for a heavy car with R compound tires.

Too bad because I really enjoyed them as a street pad, but definitely not something you can be aggressive with in high speed twisty roads.

Ultimately I lost confidence in my braking about half way into the run and the pad lost a small chunk of pad material during the process. It seems like when these pads exceed their temperature rating, they become very inconsistent. High initial bite followed by very mediocre braking behavior.

I am going to have to step up to a race pad and deal with dirty wheels every other day, but I will learn to live with it to avoid having a miscalculation at higher sustained speeds
Porterfield says that this compound is not for track day use (sounds like you're pushing HARD).

For the tooling around town, these sound okay, but not for what you're doing.

Suggest you consider RacingBrake or endless for pads that will be up to the task.

Shawn
Yup, these aren't meant for canyon driving at all. Purely grocery getter duty IMO.

I ended up with semi-metallic racing pads which make a ton of dust and noise, but the performance is well worth it.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00