04-19-2024, 11:28 AM   #63
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I would love to be able to DIY something like that, but it requires a full lift (not QuickJack). And a 2nd car to drive for the many days it would take me to complete the task.

There was a thread on an F10 forum about someone doing their own valve stem seal replacement (which BMW had trouble with on that gen N/S63 but theoretically fixed). It looks like a huge job but something I would rather DIY then trust the new hire lube tech at the dealer to do.

Keep in mind all tunes can cause issues. The manufacture builds all kinds of margin into the factory tune to cover high altitude, extreme temps, variable fuel quality, fuel efficiency, reliability, and who know what else. Tunes take some of that margin away to give you more power. So you always run the risk that something bad can happen because the tune doesn't have as much margin left. Like a lean condition on 1 cylinder. But most of the time it's fine which is why so many people get away with it. But it is very telling that pretty much every used car advice thread says walk away if ever tuned. What does that tell you?

When I had my 09 CTS-V many people tuned and changed the pulley to get more power. I felt like the risk was never worth it, even out of warranty. Especially since I'm WOT every chance I get. The statistics would catch up to me so I want the manufacturer's margin in place. FWIW I sold that car after 14 years with 104k miles, having bounced off the rev limiter countless times.

Oz M5 I hope you get your car back together soon and hopefully it isn't too bad. And I hope that stop [...]
Thanks mate.... and you're right regarding the piggyback. She's remaining stock when she back!
Appreciate 0