GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Apple was successful with ipod and took it forward with iPhone so one didn't have to carry an ipod and iPhone. Nokia LG Ericsson etc didn't do music like apple did. Iphones looked better also.
BUT
apple dictates how I must use my phone.

Samsung lets me dictate to it how I use it. I have a Samsung S10.
Nobody buys a car for software.
ha, I'm with you on phones, I never got onto the iPhone wagon - went from Blackberry right to Android for the exact reasons you said ... but we're not The Normals

And speaking of Blackberry and people buying cars for software ... ho boy do I think you're wrong; both now and for the future.

First, let's just think about BMW:

If iDrive sucked most people would be outa there. Maybe not us, but most people - and VW's BEV software SUUUUCCCKKKKSSssss. People just won't put up with a slow, laggy annoying UI. And this doesn't even address actual features like navigation, bluetooth, infotainment, vehicle functions, online stuff, et al.

Next, let's talk about what consumers are starting to demand in auto software:

Most people want their new cars to be an extension of their online life, i.e., Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, etc (not me tho); but especially with their music, podcasts, radio, etc; also their navigation (from PC to phone to car to phone to destination); also for convenience in terms of keys on your phone; also for apps integrated with you car; and soon ....

Finally, auto software will be all that and soon all about safety, security, and reliability (V2V, V2X) and infrastructure/power/subsidies (V2G):

Blackberry missed the first revolution and they're not planning to miss the next ... nor is Amazon.

Oh, and also that's coming to a BMW near you:
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50