02-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
After weeks if not months of delay and everchanging work schedules, I finally met up with Mike to install my PBX. Here are my findings so far.

I was amazed how quickly Mike installed the PBX. From opening the hood to starting the car up for potential CEL's, it only took around 20mins. Mike asked me to rev it a bit and before he could say "the throttle response is faster now" I knew right then things were only going to get better from here. All along I thought the throttle response in my car was pretty quick, but when I revved it after the install the needle just shot up. I said to myself "holy". We then closed the hood, paid Mike and I was on my way back to Scarborough. I took it easy on Mike's street not knowing what to expect. The biggest thing I noticed was how sensitive the throttle was at even the slightest input. Starting off in first gear from rest was so different. The clutch and throttle modulation was awkward. The usual first gear take off in which I'm accustomed to had to learnt all over again. With the PBX installed (on map 3) seemed like I was riding the clutch but in fact I wasn't because the revs climbed so quickly. Unlucky for me, I was stuck in bumper to bumper Friday evening rushhour traffic all the way back. No chance to get out of 3rd at all. Driving all that way home in bumper to bumper traffic reminded me of what it was like the first time I learned to drive manual. Every stop and go sounded like I was a beginner manual driver and easing out the clutch too late. To make a long story short, the difference is highly noticeable. As for power...wow! I wasn't expecting it to pull that hard when I pushed down on the throttle. First gear is quick. Found myself having to upshift much sooner. I usually shift at around 3,000 - 3,200rpm. I notice now that I'm shifting at over 3,500rpm because the revs climb so quickly. Every gear feels stronger. The car seems to just go so effortlessly. Torque is noticeable too. It seems to pull harder and stronger. At one point I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 80kph in an area in which I go 60kph. I also noticed that engine braking is more abrupt...to the point that it gets jerky. The revs fall quicker too. After dinner I decided to go for a drive...I ended up driving 80kms around Scarborough haha.

I am a true believer now. Although this initial feedback is from my butt dyno, I can definitely say this thing works! Words to describe the PBX (as others have also said)..."makes the car feel lighter, transforms the car". The earliest I can get this dynoed will be next Tuesday. For sure I'll update this thread with dyno sheets :-)

Once again thanks Mike!!! For those who haven't picked one up yet...Get one now...you're missing out on what I think is the best mod for our car.

Oh...if you're still here, sorry for the long write-up. Gotta go now...I wanna really rip it now. ;-)
Thanks for the review, and I am glad you are enjoying the tune. Can't wait to see your dyno results.

Mike
Appreciate 0