View Single Post
      10-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #23
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
It depends on what you call "crisper" I guess. At less than 0.5g, I would say you are right. Turn in will be a little quicker.

As the speed, and the g's increase, ANYWHERE near 40 psi gets squirrely on most street tires (even on hot pressures). The excess air keeps the tire from "working as designed". Most manufacturers have an "optimal" road pressure. This is usually achieved after about 20 minutes of driving on a car in 70 degree weather with the tire at the recommended cold pressure of the car (almost always 32 psi, unless you're talking about a weirdo like the i3 - I had two of them). Almost every other condition becomes a compromise.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...ate-car-tires/

On the track, trackrats like I am, almost always note that anything DOT legal starts to slide at anything over 40 psi. Hot or cold. Despite physics (which doesn't give a shit about size of contact patch), real cars have "rollover" on tires. As the car corners, the tires roll over onto the outside edges of the tire (on the outside of the turn radius). The inner tires roll over on the inside edge. Traction seems to be compromised. Physics says that as long as the friction coefficient doesn't change, it shouldn't matter. But it DOES. Otherwise, we'd all have bicycle tires on our cars.

I'm sure the reasons are more complicated, but both car and tire manufacturers agree. Inflate to recommended pressures and stay there.

Shawn
Excellent. I love to learn.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1835.50