CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I maybe off base, but I think most people are making too much of this wear issue. I budget for 8 tires for a season, I change when ever they wear out; I generally only get to use 4 new tires at the beginning of the season and all other times it is a mix. I am not getting why this tire wear is such a big issue
It is a simple question of cost for me. Nothing pisses me off more than throwing away a tire that has plenty of thread meat left on it but has the shoulders corded . On my previous M3s (as I likely will on my M4), I ran stock suspensions except for camber plates, so there was a non-negligible amount of tire roll-over up front (suspension roll and soft bushings). First season with either car, I always ended-up throwing away tires that could have had much more life; until I was able to find the proper alignment and tire rotation recipe. After that, I could easily double the life of my tires (from 4~6 days to 8~12 days). That is not negligible to me.

Proper rotation front to rear has been an important element of my recipe. I see having the ability to do that rotation on the fly at the track as an important advantage, especially for 2 or 3 day track events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I really think you will be robbing yourself from fully enjoying this car on track with a square setup.
A staggered setup is not out of the question for me. For now, I ordered 4 18x10ET25 APEX EC-7 wheels. When APEX come up with a proper 18x11 EC-7 option for the F8X, I may very well buy a pair. With 6 wheels, I could have the opportunity to play around between setups to balance wear while better leveraging the performance potential of the car.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-16-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 1