View Single Post
      10-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #16
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I just got an M5 and I'm debating if I should insure with Geico for their mechanical breakdown insurance. On an Audi forum someone blew their engine with a tune and Geico covered it. Downside to Geico is that they don't offer gap coverage. Can't win! So what is the worst case if the engine blows and the dealership tries to blame a JB4? Expensive repair? Find a used one for 20k? Or buy a new one for 56k? If it's 20-25k, fine, I'll pay to play. 56k, I'd probably consider jumping off a bridge for a bit, then pay it, sell the car and be sad for a few months.

I know almost no one ever has a BMW engine blow from a tune, but I also want to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting myself into and weigh gap coverage vs mechanical breakdown insurance.

Of course all of this is assuming the dealer detects the JB4 and can prove it caused the issue, which I've also read mixed reviews about.
well I can tell you first hand there have been plenty of blown motors out there on various BMW's due to the "tune" and/or dealers blaming the tune and voiding warranty, for flashed cars. Stick with a piggy like a Racechip or other and not worry about it
Appreciate 0