View Single Post
      07-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
oyvind
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
The keys are proper driving tecnique, proper equipment and good judgement. If any of those are missing, trouble will be had. But that is true mid-summer or mid-winter.

Another thing to remember is this. AWD will only help (and will vary) starting and turning, not stopping. And it will only help if all the above stuff is in place.
Why would a AWD do turning better than a RWD car?

I have been driving RWD cars on winter roads i Norway for 10 years, and i have yet to get stuck. And my cars has never been equiped with any kind of electronic stability system (except ABS).
The 135 has loads of electronics to keep you safe, the only time you might loose out to the STI is in starting on slippery roads. Remember that the STI only has 4 wheels just like your 135.

I also have a part time job as a winter driving instructor and imo. the new BMW's have excellent electronic systems compared to most new cars. I have yet to test the 1 Series, but the E90 really impressed me a lot.

Every year i go to a frozen lake with the BMW Car Club to do winter driving, and with winter tires i can reach speeds of about 150kph. (in my old E36 320i). The M3 cars running on rally tires touched 200kph.
Recomended !

I'm hoping to get my 1 series on the ice at least once this winter.

my last trip http://gallery.raceinfo.no/gallery.a...lBMW/&pagenr=1
Appreciate 0