Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I know everyone says you need 4 drip rails but the oem retrofit kit only has the lower two. I bought the extra two upper but when I did the install it was clear they were not actually needed. Unless I'm missing something here.
Perhaps the pre-LCI drip rails will install for the upper, but if you look closely they don’t follow the indent in the LCI tail light so you have a drip rail extending out between the outer and inner portions of the tail light. Stock drip rail will probably still do what it’s designed to do, but it won’t look right to anyone who notices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I know everyone says you need 4 drip rails but the oem retrofit kit only has the lower two. I bought the extra two upper but when I did the install it was clear they were not actually needed. Unless I'm missing something here. Now I will caveat this with that I did end up breaking a clip when removing the upper so I was able to cannibalize to reinstall.
My installer used all four, he said all the old pieces did not fit, including the upper two. FWIW.
They do fit just fine actually. And the inner lights snap is the same. The out lights are what changed as the drip tray have nothing to do with the inner lights as they are on the trunk and not the rear quarter panel.

Not looking to start a debate over this. Just as someone who did the install hisself it was just something I noticed. Again BMW does not provide them for their original retrofit kit for a reason….I trust BMW knows what fits their cars. And just to reiterate I installed them haha.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0