View Single Post
      07-08-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Preferred exhaust and crackle restoration?

Hey folks,

In what follows, I feel like I'm reprising issues discussed quite authoritatively some time ago by folks like Simon H and Sullyrityres, along with threads launched a few years back by Mightyhoof (in assessing the Akrapovic exhaust), so apologies if this feels like well-trodden ground.

But! Now that time has indeed passed, and with it warranties too for those of you who've hung on to their MY2020 cars, I just wondered what your preferred options have been in terms of restoring the crackles that we all know were mapped out of the MY2020 models from July 2019 onwards. My Feb 2020 build Comp sounds terrific in its own right, and certainly deeper and more sonorous than the more recent LCI iteration. But of course it lacks those pre-MY2020 crackles and pops on the overrun, even though it'll bark and burble quite aggressively on a warm restart.

So, for those of you who have gone down the exhaust upgrade route, what have you opted for? Akra, Remus, Miltek, or Schnitzer? In the UK we still have the option of an OPF delete (as we all know cars still pass the MOT without them) so that would obviously enhance the sound even further. In any case, I'd be interested to hear whether you've retained or opted for the bypass sections--and to what effect.

Second, what has been your preferred provider? I was thinking in the first instance of going to Litchfield (since they do the Akra and also could provide a map that restores those crackles that were originally there on the Comps before the nannyish EU sound regs kicked in); but Evolve and DMS also seem to be pretty experienced in this area.

Having now transferred to BMW extended warranty, I realise a map would potentially imperil parts of the drive train coverage, though my local BM dealer has said that there's pragmatic flexibility when it comes to diagnosing faults, especially when they have nothing to do with an aftermarket map. But again, I'd welcome any thoughts from folks who've implemented these kinds of ECU refinements (I'm not interested in any extra power, just in restoring something of the exhaust note and character!).

Thanks in advance,

D

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport

Last edited by DavidXJ; 07-10-2023 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0