View Single Post
      03-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
What’s the consensus? Occasional use to help with Racechip boosting octane to 96-98. I have read all I can about MMT and realize the controversy. In real life using once every few months any harm?
Do you have crappy fuel near you? because Racechip is pretty limited in terms of the boost it can add, a max of about 4psi, which does not warrant a need for anything more than 93 octane...unless you have crappy fuel (91 octane). For example I can run an early boosting custom (JB4 map 6) 23-24 psi on straight Vpower 93 with great timing, this is a much more aggressive map than what racechip offers. - just some food for thought.

I've used boostane many times and VP Octanium, both work very well when used right. Many people, not all dont understand the point of these additives and end up writing reviews like I didnt nothing anything or I added to my tank and my car didnt feel faster and they have no way to check data on if they are truly helping the car advance timing.

I'm consistently able to get about 3 degrees more timing with Boostane or VP octanium vs just straight pump gas.

Bosstane is said to be 100% to run as often as you want for cars with cats and o2 sensors. VP makes a unleaded version that is cat and o2 sensor safe and a "standard" version that is not made for use with cats and o2 sensors, but it would take a lot of use to cause damage anyway. - I've never had a single issue and I've run about 20 -30 cans through my M4 and M5

FYI I found my sweet spot to be about 10-12 gallons per can for the mix, and it takes some time to fully mix, about 30 minutes to an hour. On my F90 this allows me to run a JB4 map 3 (25psi) on the street with plenty of timing. Mixing 5 gallons GT260 plus performed pretty much the same and that was $80 for 5 gallons. I would not use a mix for a bigger boost map like JB4 map 5-8, I would run straight MS103 or MS109 in that situation.

Engine Labs/The Tuning School did a good test on a bunch of race fuels and boostane too.

Last edited by turbomcgee; 03-23-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0