View Single Post
      11-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
trip
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
No factory functions other than the removal of the speed governor are affected to my knowledge. The "M" button still performs its same much-debated function. The MSM has the same default thresholds, etc., etc. It is so "transparent" that, except for the increased power and smoother power delivery, you can tell that it's there.

Throttle modulation is as linear as stock in "normal" mode and as exaggerated as stock in "sport mode". Also, it's hard to believe but the power delivery is actually smoother after the tune. The best way I can describe it is that the gas pedal has less of an "on-off" switch effect to it and you can actually meter the power more effectively in relation to throttle position. I wasn't expecting that benefit and was very pleasently surprised by it.

Acceleration wise it feels stronger all the way thru. I won't tell you that it's a night and day difference because it isn't. It just feels like the HP and torque curves have swollen a good amount. For sure I can't get full traction in the first three gears. Even on full throttle in third gear I get wheel spin and "tail wagging" every time

I'm not sure how the car will accelerate in the stratospheric speeds you guys are playing in, but I took it to 225 kph once and it was still pulling as hard as it used to pull at 160 kph (or at least it felt that way!!!)

I went with ESS because of their worldwide reputation, extensive BMW knowledge and the convenience of the DirectFlash in swapping the stock profile back and forth quickly (cars need to go back to service now and then ) I hear that they are currently working on their "Stage 2" tune so potential future power gains are there.
Fully appreciate your input mate, very kind of you. You have pretty much answered all my questions. One last thing though, does the car appear to run hotter coolant temperatures as compared to stock or does it heat up alot quicker? And do you tend to hear alot more of the turbo whine after tuning? I might just get the ESS tune by the looks of it.
Appreciate 0