View Single Post
      10-04-2022, 10:14 PM   #74
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljeffrey13 View Post
Is ur opinion that ppl should run the factory spec oil or is 5w 40 fine in ur opinion?
Both WILL work. But I STRONGLY suggest if you're in warranty period you use a "BMW approved" oil in the factory spec.

If you're not, the 5W-40 with the proper pack (again, BMW approved) will be fine for the long run. So will a 0W-40. Strongly suggest you stick to oils with "euro" specialties (the only US one that seems to really be up to speed is Redline, but it's HEAVY on the additive pack). Liqui-moly, Pentosin, Motul, Ravenol. And one with LL-01 FE. You gotta look HARD for that one. There are plenty of oils that are "probably" fine. But the direct injection on this motor MIGHT be sensitive to deposits. The detonation problem noted above is unfortunately a new development in the direct injection engines (which are much higher compression usually, and susceptible to "dieseling" anyway).

So the answer is complex. But you're mostly better off sticking to the BMW certified oils. Pick a viscosity CLOSE to OEM spec. Try not to jump two viscosities. I hope that helps.

Shawn
Appreciate 0