Thread: Ceramic or not?
View Single Post
      10-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

Sorry, there is no answer to this question. It's personal preference and how much you are prepared to pay.

Apparently some people are prepared to pay thousands and thousands of dollars to get their car PPF and ceramic coated. I certainly understand the desire to keep a new car looking as new as you can, for as long as you can. For me it is not worth it to spend so much on a rapidly depreciating asset. No matter what you do, after four or five years you vehicle looks like a four or five year old vehicle - because it is.

I decided to do both PPF and a ceramic coating on my X5. However, I only put PPF on the hood and fenders. Cost $300.

I did a ceramic coating myself - but beware doing so is not for the faint of heart and it does require the right equipment (it is a long list of equipment and products required).

The cost in getting ceramic is not the cost of the actual ceramic but all the extensive labor required to clean and polish the paint and get the paint ready for the ceramic coating. I never kept track but I probably spent around 12 hours. I already had a lot of the equipment and products so the cost was probably around $200.

If you are concerned about paint chips etc, go with PPF. Ceramic does make the car look glosser and it will be easier to clean but ceramic does not really provide any paint protection against chips and scratches.

If it were me, I would get some PPF and apply a sealant. A good sealant such as Jescar Power Lock will give you 3-6 months of protection. Apply 2-3 times a year and you are good to go. At the same time, if you have the $ combine the PPF with a ceramic coating! Up to you...
Appreciate 0