03-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #108
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
This is true - but unless it was very hot - where these tests took or they are hot from multiple pulls - I don't see it pulling that much timing for a 470 WHP pull. I don't agree with the 12% difference - again it is how the dyno is configured - but if you are right - that is a 526 WHP pull on a Dynojet and with 15% drivetrain loss - about 618 HP - which would work.

It still doesn't explain why WTQ is showing higher than WHP overall though - as the 509 WTQ with the same 12% conversion to Dynojet and the 15% drivetrain loss is 670 lb ft.
An example from my own personal experience: we had an F10 M5 in for dyno test at the shop where I work and it was making WEAK numbers, I don't recall exactly but it was something like 50hp down on any other stock F10 M5 we had tested and this one was bone stock as well. It had zero fault codes but when we checked the reservoir for its turbo / intercooler circuit, it was a little low. We added a small amount of coolant to top it up and I thought FOR SURE this would make zero difference since it was such a small amount of coolant AND it was not low enough to trigger a low coolant warning. That was all that was wrong with the car and it suddenly picked up all the power that had been missing. I think most people would be dead shocked at what kinds of tiny things can make these cars pull back power to protect themselves especially since a lot of these triggers don't result in any kind of warning to the driver.

An engine bay with zero airflow going through it will heat up very quickly at full throttle, it makes sense that a car in this environment would make a ton of torque at lower RPM but start to pull timing and even reduce boost targets as the run progresses so that it's making less torque (and HP since HP is a calculation based on torque) at the high end. If that is what's going on, it makes sense that it would make an impressive amount of torque but a comparatively weak amount of horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post
this to is a moronic post.
I hope he was trolling, of all the BMWs I've had I have to say my 135i was probably my favorite overall. Such an insanely great bargain and endlessly fun to drive!
Appreciate 0