View Single Post
      03-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #89
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Airflow on modern cars is highly optimized, especially on a turbo car. I know of one particular sports car that would not survive the OEM's track durability requirement with the grill badge logo in place, so they removed it in production for additional cooling air and it passed. Pulling that much power to protect the engine is definitely within the realm of possibility in an extreme situation like this.

I mean, look at the dyno chart. The torque peaks really low and drops sharply after 3000rpm. No torque at high rpm means the peak power will be low. There is clearly something going on with that car or test procedure. Either the car isn't working right or something in the ECU is pulling power because its on a dyno.

Are the reported numbers corrected in any way? If it was cold and rainy, they the numbers would likely be corrected down. I believe the F80's ECU corrects for atmospheric conditions itself though to guarantee rated power under all conditions (I would assume the F90's would do the same). So if the ECU is correcting the power level and the dyno operator applies another correction factor, the final number will over-corrected downward.
The Z28 Camaro is the car I'm guessing you are writing about.

I think your second point is the bigger issue; I have spotted multiple issues with the results from this test - the biggest question, beyond the WHP/WTQ swap power wise is how are these dyno's configured. I have been fortunate to have my Tuners remove correction factor - at least as much as possible - it creates too many final number issues.

In the end a dyno is only a tool - measuring before and after - but I just don't think this test is correct for many reasons. Is it because there is in fact a lock-out? Maybe - but then the torque numbers will be astronomical if that is the case once it is unlocked.

OP has not responded to this - so that doesn't help.
Appreciate 0