kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Doors blown off... funny every Porsche beats BMW look at ring times. your mighty M8 with underrated 617 Hp gets toasted by my only 450 HP C2S.... M3 CSL and M2 both slower than their Porsche counterparts

I've owned 50-60 BMW's and every M car you can imagine ... track stars they are not and each generation is becoming less and less sporty, numb steering, unsorted suspension and more weight. They're fast in a straight line though

And maybe you have to drive 500?!?! Miles to the track. Quite a trip, takes you 7 - 8 hours to get to the track. I don't know anyone who drives 7-8 hours to get to a track
As much as I hate the recent transition of M cars appealing to soccer moms and stoplight racers who can't drive a RWD without traction control or bother to learn how to properly drive a DCT, credit should be given where it deserves.

Prolonged track driving will tell you that:
1. M engines are much more reliable and less costly to run than Porsche F6 engines. Up to 991 engines all Flat-6 engines other than GT variants suffered from oil starvation destroying cylinder walls because of their design.
Flat engines just cannot handle high lateral G without dry sump system. M engines from E36 M3 3.2 Euro all have dual oil pickup which supplies oil in high lateral G conditions at all times.

2. Weight is a big problem, but weight distribution matters as well. The famous 50&50 weight distribution of M cars does not just mean front and rear, it also means left to right. This enables drivers to chase higher cornering speed (i.e. higher entry speed) than 40-60~ 30-70 weight distribution of 911s. Where 911s shine is actually straight line speed from the corner exit. 911 Non GT variants understeer going at same entry speed as F8x M3/4s so driving 911 is not a pleasant experience for track rats looking for a neutral balance.

3. Nurburgring times don't mean shit as track conditions differ and car setup is drastically different to get the maximum result out of a particular track. Just because 911s are more nurburgring focused does not mean it fares well on other tracks. M cars are consistently fast on all tracks.

Last edited by kyrix1st; 09-22-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 4
LSM1118.00
SYT_Shadow11488.50
Nugget649.50
_robert_108.50