View Single Post
      08-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #43
BlueLeaderXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Portimao Blue M340i xDriv

in your research did you look at extending coverage at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWLS3 View Post
We have carbon-ceramics on our Cayenne Turbo. We did a lot of research before pulling the trigger, considering a chipped rotor can put a $5K dent in your wallet. But the benefits outweighed the initial upgrade cost (about $5K in our case; $8K on a standard Cayenne) and long-term risk.

To answer your question, carbon-ceramic rotors are basically a lifetime wear item in normal, general daily driver use. You should see at least 200K miles before they need replacing. If you track them, they may / will wear prematurely. Lots of Porsche guys yank their PCCB rotors when going to the track and replace them with steel / cast iron to avoid the possibility of a $20K track session.

Brake pads will wear at the same rate as any other. But as a general rule, they're not any more expensive than standard German performance pads. You might pay $300 to $500 per set, whether you have CCBs or standard brakes. Not a big deal.

The brake dust reduction is real. I'm OCD about our cars. The brake dust on our Chevy SS with its cast-iron Brembos all around is obscene, no different than most German cars with performance brakes. Our Cayenne MAY leave a light coating of translucent, sand-colored dust after a week or two of hard driving. But you'll never see it until you run your finger over a wheel.

I don't think you can go wrong with the standard F90 cast-iron brakes, or the upgraded CCBs, assuming BMW has engineered them not to be noisy when cold. The PCCBs on our Cayenne never make a sound. And for standard street use, you'll never see the increased fade resistance of carbon-ceramics.

We're close special-ordering an M5 Comp. And we still haven't decided on the brakes. Both types have their merits and demerits. I personally believe it's a coin flip overall, after factoring in multiple cast-iron rotor replacements over that 200K-plus service life of carbon-ceramic rotors.

If I had to guess, we'll bite the initial bullet and option CCBs on our Comp.
Hey JCWLS3 in your extensive research, did you look at added Warranty/Maintenance plan coverage ?

I was leaning towards Ult Care+Plus, but I just saw in the fine print it specifically excludes CCB...

sold |2021 M340i xDrive 8AT|Portimao Blue|Black/Oyster|19" 792M cerium grey wheels|

|R.I.P. beloved 2015 335i xDrive 8AT|
Appreciate 0