View Single Post
      08-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Lee1224
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I know this is an older thread but not that old. In case you are still having this problem - you say in the subject line that you have “race” pads... is that true? Often times an aftermarket pad manufacturer will intentionally make the backing plate of their race pad compounds a little smaller than the street or OEM version to account for the higher temps they will see and the subsequent thermal expansion which could lead to binding of “normally” sized pads.

To be clear, the dimensions we are talking about are NOT thickness of the backing plate but the “width” which is where the outer edges of the backing plate contacts the inner caliper channel.

Something to look for, and if it’s there, it’s not dangerous... just potentially annoying.

-Ash
An update to an old post

Sold the M5 last month, prior to sale, I had OEM pads put back on car. Not a bit of annoying rattling sound with OEM pads. Definitely something off with the Porterfield pads. I think that I will just leave the pads alone on my new 2021 M5 comp if and when they start to squeal. The squeal sound is much more liveable than the rattling sound coming from front wheels.
Appreciate 0