FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
"Horses for courses."

We drive my wife's Model 3 Performance for all our around town and shorter day trip driving. It is fine for normal driving and comfortable. It has been dead reliable for over 2 years and 27,000 miles. At $0.075 per kW hour for charging at home, it is basically equivalent to free gas, plus no scheduled maintenance (oil change, etc.). It also handles quite respectably and will run 11.7 1/4 miles all day.

On the other hand, due to some Supercharger mishaps, and a desire to take road trips to obscure places, the Tesla is definitely not our serious road trip car. Our 2021 M5 Comp has already proven its mettle on a 1,500 road trip. Cruising at 70 to 75 MPH, I can easily cover 350 to 400 miles between gas stops (but we usually have to take bathroom breaks more often :-). At those speeds, the Tesla can only go about 200 to 220 miles. The M5 is faster, has a more comfortable interior, more luggage and passenger space AND better highway self-driving capabilities.

We are lucky to be able to afford both vehicles. Given that, I would not give up either car and see the value in both.
I think I typed 'horses for courses' at the same time you did! FWIW, my wife drives a Model Y Performance. LOL
Appreciate 0