10-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I know there are a lot of fans of the Conti DWS, both BMW owners, and others, but they are still an all-season tire. I've always thought the video via the attached link really highlights the sacrifices one makes in going with an all-season tire. No matter how good the all-season tire, it will fall into the category of "jack of all trades, master of none."

I don't discount that it isn't a whole lot of fun to deal with switching sets of tires twice a year, but the argument is easily made that the small hassle is worth it for the increased safety provided in both the summer, and winter months by using tires dedicated for each season. I disagree that true winter tires are overkill for the X5/X6 for anyone living outside of a snowy mountainous area. Ice and snow, no matter where one lives, will cause the same problems, and it doesn't necessarily take a large amount of either to cause a massive accident. All-season tires simply don't provide the grip on ice and snow that true winter tires do. If one is going to be switching sets of tires twice a year, why go with an all-season tire with its inherent issues, over a tire designed specifically for the season you're installing it for?

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=26
We're thread jacking, so I'll respond in another post. Sorry OP.