06-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradsa View Post
N51 and N52 put out the same, since the N51 has the 3 stage intake manifold to compensate for the lower compression. It's even possible that the N51 puts out slightly more, but BMW didn't bother changing the specs. If the N51 would have less HP, on the other hand, BMW would have to disclose it. The N51 is definitely more expensive than the N52, that's why BMW limits its numbers to where it is required due to emission regulations.
Thank you for your post.

Since I ordered my car 2 1/2 years ago, I couldn't figure out why BMW gave the N51 and N52 same T/HP ratings, even though the N52 had a higher compression ratio. Fitting the N51 with the 3 stage intake manifold to make up for the difference explains it.

So the bottom line is that many of us that ordered the N52 thinking it was faster may have shot ourselves in the foot! We might have been better off with the N51. We knew about the compression ratio difference but not about the manifold differences.

The N52 may provide better low-end torque due to the higher compression ratio but the N51 probably comes on better at high rpm due to 3 stage intake manifold. Agreed?
Appreciate 0