View Single Post
      06-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I know the saying "during a spin both feet in" but that's really when you're beyond the point of correction. Leading up to that point, what should I be doing with my hands?

The one time my back side came loose was at Summit, last turn before leading into the straights. It was a right hander, slight decline, late apex. Back side was sliding a little to the left and I was able to correct it. Instructor complimented me on my ability to control but honestly the actions were more intuitive from my auto-x days. If you ask me now I can't tell you exactly which way I turned the wheel and how many degrees, etc. But I would like to know consciously what I should be doing.

I do believe in that incident I let off throttle and turned slightly to the left, got her straight and went back on gas. However reading other threads, I actually see different suggestions on which way I should be steering...
I explain correcting for oversteer to my son the same way I've been taught - point your wheels in the direction you want to go. This translates into the opposite lock you describe, but is much easier to think of instead of being confused by left, right, etc.

Onset of understeer takes a different leap of faith that unwinding the wheel a bit will get your front grip back.

Put in an autocross or two and drive at the edge to reinforce this in a safe environment. It's served you well.
Appreciate 0