Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
I'm so disappointed in BMW. They've had years to get their electric program up to speed and they'll still be using pouch cells in 2024?!

Even if Tesla is late on production, they'll likely already have a 2024 i5M-killer in the Roadster and Model S Plaid hitting the roads.

I've been bearish on Tesla for years because I believe the Germans could catch up to the e-tech side while using their superior build quality and chassis dynamics to clobber the Americans. (I'm a recently former Model S and X owner Fwiw)

But now, I'm starting to doubt that anyone can catch up to Tesla in the powertrain. And 5 years is a good stretch of time...maybe long enough for Tesla to edge towards fit/finish and dynamics that challenge the Germans.
The major manufacturers look at profits and the ability to sell. EVs still make up global sales of less than 5%. The battery tech and EV charging infrastructure aren't there for them to go 100% in. Dollar per Dollar and pound per pound ICE engines are still the top choice.

Appreciate 0