04-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Got an X2 as a loaner this morning. I'm trying to figure out if it has an alignment issue (car has only 150 miles on it) or if "they all do that".

Let me try to explain...
I'll be driving on a straight road and all the sudden it feels like the car points left for a brief instant. I correct and everything is fine. Then it might do it to the right.

Very weird and feels like maybe the rack (which I'm guessing they don't have of course) has a bunch of play in it.

Pressures are a bit off with 38 on one front wheel and 35 on the other, but I wouldn't expect to see this type of behavior.

Normal or not?
Normally low pressure will cause a pull in the direction of the low tire. I would be very surprised if there was play in the steering rack in an almost new vehicle. With a worn steering rack, you will feel the steering wheel shuddering slightly back and forth during hard braking. It's likely what you experienced is just the tires following discontinuities in the pavement. This is normal with high-pressure low-profile tires. If you want responsive steering, you will get feedback along with it. This is a feature, not a problem.

My E36 328is had low-profile 35 and 40 series tires and you had to keep a firm hand on the wheel in case the tires followed something in the pavement. My E46 M3 has 30 and 35 series tires along with a bunch of other mods and is strictly firm hand(s) on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times or it will bite you in the a**. Again, I consider this a feature, not a problem.
Appreciate 0