01-25-2024, 01:42 PM   #13
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
BMW doesn't make a Sports Car, unless you consider a Miata, and a Demon Sports Cars as well, which means the title is useless because it pretty much includes everything.

Sports Car: 2-seat, open top, manual, RWD, skewed towards light weight and handling fun (not seriousness, that's Race Car).

BMW's are moreover GT Cars.
Definitions are ever-evolving and rarely black and white - especially with this topic. It's been beaten to death - but you have to ask yourself where you draw the line? Virtually all cars are heavier, and manual transmissions are all but extinct.

In my mind there's varying degrees of "sportiness" rather than a binary definition of what is or isn't a "sports car". If you're calling them all GT cars (i.e. the M2) - then what does that make cars like the 8 series... MORE GT-ness? You see what I'm getting at here? It's a spectrum, not a binary definition.

Sure, BMW coupes & sedans may gravitate more towards the GT spectrum - but compared to what? Compared to their direct rivals (Audi & Mercedes), I'd say they're very well still on the sportier side. The difference now is they also come with better quality materials and build quality.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
baron951751.50