04-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #69
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post

My experience had my car waiting for 14 days at Bremerhaven before being in transit on a ship. The My BMW site told me it left Bremerhaven on 3/27 and is expected in Baltimore on 4/6. When I go to the marine traffic site it gives me the same arrival date for the ship it's on. BUT, it's 6,310 km from Bremerhaven to Baltimore, and the average speed of those ships is about 16 knots. That tells me it will take around 16 days to make the journey. So..... I'm expecting the arrival date to change at some point, but will be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong. For the currently predicted transit time to be correct the ship would have to average 26 knots, and I don't think that's possible.
I tracked my ship on marine traffic and was very surprised by the route it took. Instead of going in a generally straight line from Bremerhaven to Baltimore, my boat (Glovis Cosmos) went south around France, past Spain and stayed along the coast all the way to Morocco...then turned West and went in a staight line past Bermuda and then NW up to Baltimore. Not a reasonably direct line at all. Not sure if that is how the currents this time of the year dictated direction...but either way that route added a solid 7 days.

Last edited by dardeca; 04-02-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0