Thread: Genesis G70?
View Single Post
      07-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Over the weekend I saw a an "Everyday Car" episode comparing the Kia Stinger 3.3T with a current 430i Gran Coupe Msport.

The Stinger got the final nod, and mainly it was due to the 3.3T AWD and RWD.
The reviewers thought that they were doing a better comparo by selecting a nearly fully loaded 430i Msport at around $53K because the 3.3T Stinger was fully loaded at that price.

For me that was not a proper review at all because as we know BMW costs a good bit more for it's options. That's not a good thing, but when comparing the actual performance and utility of "every day cars", then why choose a price point when that was the main issue with the reviews.

By doing that the greater power of the 3.3T really wowed them.
Yes, the BMW 2.0T is a great 4cyl engine, but the 3.0 inline 6 is the direct match to the Kia/Hyundai 3.3T.
With the price point limiting the BMW, they then knocked the BMW because the Stinger's 3.3T was so powerful and nice. Yeah, well...Duh!

Still, the very interesting thing is how much both reviewers liked the 330i Msport overall. Regarding the overall handling and performance there was really nothing negative other than the quite common "number steering feel", but that was also a complaint about the Stinger. And, the new reviews of the G70 also say the same about it's steering.

Also, the reviewers stated the obvious that we BMW owners already know, that BMW's power numbers are not indicative of the cars actual performance, and that the actual power numbers are higher than what BMW states.

The Stingers accel numbers and the G70 accel numbers are around 4.5 to 60, which is right there with a 340i and 440i.
So, having a higher HP and/or torque number means nothing, because, as always, the real power is about how the overall package moves the vehicle.

So, this now "old" F30 330i Msport compares quite favorably to a brand new Stinger, and we can extrapolate that to the new G70.
The G70 is a bit smaller and lighter than the Stinger, while sharing the engines and drive lines.

Another oddity with initial reviews is that the Stinger 2.0T is mainly reviewed as being quite good with the lower powered engine, just like the 3 series.
However, I just read 3 new reviews of the G70, and 2 of the 3 did not really like the 2.0T in the G70 saying it was kind of sluggish to respond. The outlier review liked the 2.0T G70.

The Everyday Driver review speaks quite highly of the current 3/4 series, even though the initial F30 set a precedent for the repetitive bitching we've all been doing. I know from direct experience that that LCI was a nice improvement in all areas of handling and driving. The improvements were not drastic, but certainly noticeable in power, suspension, and steering.
If the LCI F30 was the initial F30 release in 2012, I think the complaints and bitching would have been a good bit less.
But, that's history now.

The issue with the G20 is that it's taking BMW too fk'ing long to get it to market.
For me that has caused an issue where I may leave BMW for a couple years, and if the G20 is a return to form, then I'll likely be back.

BTW, I saw a Stinger in person and I am highly impressed with the build quality and feel of the interior. The Stinger interior and materials quality and feel and feel of operation of the switches and buttons is superior to my 340i.

I haven't seen or felt a G70 so I can't speak to that.
Appreciate 1