View Single Post
      08-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #83
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Is there truly a "need" for an AWD ///M xDrive system? My answer will always be irrevocably NO. Will it be a great thing to have though? You betcha! I never had a problem with proper snow tires on the F10 M5 in light to medium snow covered roads. Even with my M5 lowered on springs, plowing through the snow was never a problem. The new ///M xDrive System will add that certain video game cheat code feeling when encountering that Nissan GTR at a stop light however. And I think that's what people will appreciate most about it, its superior performance on the street. M Division has traded purity for speed, but for super sedans like the M5, its ok, because this kind of car has never been about lap times. Lap times belong to the KING M3 and M4, and now M2.

But dammit you guys at ///M Division, at least give us a new engine with new characteristics to enjoy while we experience the pleasure of beating that Nissan GTR off the line.

I really believe that the new ZF8 Speed won't be that bad, and most people will enjoy it or forgive M for choosing it over the DCT. While other people who have owned SMG's and DCT's in the past or have been spoiled rotten by Porsche PDK's, will continue to lament the days past and curse ///M for making people spend more money on a slower shifting transmission.

The F90 M5 has turned into a 4-Door Nissan GTR. A lot of the car will probably feel disconnected just like the GTR does, but will be fast as hell. I've always heard GTR owners describe their cars as like driving a robot or a car that does everything for you. If the E39 M5 was a sentient car, I'm sure it would be like "WTF" are you guys at ///M Division doing?

Oh yes, and just wait until everybody sees what the a fully loaded F90 M5 is going to cost. I wouldn't be surprised if a fully loaded example exceeds $150k now or with a future LCI Competition Package version.

The most important thing that remains to be seen with the new F90 is the true and actual curb weight. Automotive journalists have been all over the place citing everything from 4,100lbs to 4,400lbs. If the F90 M5 is going to truly be lighter then that will be the only edge it will have over the Mercedes E63S, Panamera Turbo, and future Audi RS6/RS7. Oh and a Carbon Fiber roof on the F90. I'll still be sorely disappointed if the door panels on the F90 aren't at least made out of aluminum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0