View Single Post
      11-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 F82 M4 ZCP Black/Black

I wish that were the case

Unfortunately in this car, you will not gain any measurable HP with the higher octane. Believe me I wish this were true, but 20 years of racing everything from shifter karts, motocross, superbikes, to scca formula ford events has shown that the stock ECU's will not compensate for higher octane, the sensors(used to be knock, now are straight up timing) are unilateral, the ECU does not have the programming to detect higher octane and therefore compensate, bear in mind that the ECU does not have the parameters to advance the timing beyond factory only retard. Now that being said, if you look at any race vehicle(2 or 4 stroke), no one uses factory ignitions(for older low tech engines) or ECU's. I just recently went through this on a 5 valve yamaha engine in which I increased compression throughout the range, ported and polished the heads, and reprogrammed the ECU, all of this then requires me to run VP110 fuel, if gains could have been made with simply running higher octane without modifications, every R1 out there would do it. Again, once you start tweaking the engine, you benefit from the higher octane(although more accurately you require it), but I defy anyone to show increased wheel horsepower with simply increases the octane and nothing else. Of course you could have Shiv chime in and talk about how he tuned the 335's and see what he did with required fuel, but I am betting he'll say the same thing, he'll give you the best performance based on what fuel you say you're willing to run, not the other way around. If you speak with Dinan as well, they used to do custom programming for the old M3's for GT events and you would tell them what the spec fuel was for the class or specific event and they would tune the car for that. Now, one concession I will make is with regard to the recent ongoing reports of fuel coming in sub-spec on octane levels at the pump, and if you are buying 91 and only getting 89/89.5, and then you run a race gas, you will feel the horsepower, not because the extra 8 points of octane are benefitting you, but because you were not getting the minimum required to begin with. I'm in SE PA, and I stock GT100 gas for one motorcycle and one shifter kart, as well as VP110 for a moto, if anyone is interested in trying it on the dyno. I said if anyone is interested, because without witnesses, the forum will light up with people disputing the results! Best of Luck.
Appreciate 0