2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I don't think there is a winter star tire. Kinda would defeat the purpose I would think. The star is supposed to lend toward different performance rubbers etc which would not be as good during the winter. Plus don't think bmw would spend the money on Michelin developing something like that.

Either way Michelin makes outstanding winter tires. So does pirelli and you can't go wrong with either.

Edit: I stand corrected. There is a set for sale in the classifieds and I just zoomed in. There's a star. Lol Michelins alpine
Thanks for the input and the research! I couldn't find this during my search.

I have always been under the impression that star marked tires are tires developed by the tire manufacturer by/in conjunction with BMW, whether for performance in the case of summer tires like the PZero and 4S (meaning versions of those tires for BMW), or for BMW "approved" winters. That's why I was trying to figure out what was star marked for BMW. But between your post and DryBark's, I think the Alpin route is the one I am going to take, assuming they come sized for 706Ms.

Thanks again guys!
They won't come in 20" for winter. The oem bmw winter set up is the set that's being sold in the image I posted.

And yes it's made with specific mods to the rubber in areas of the tire. Tread depth. Side wall stiffness, slight changes to tread design etc. but overall you won't notice a difference. I have bmw start on my 706m but wanted to run 286/295 and they don't come in 295 with the star. I don't feel one lick of difference. There's a great YouTube video talking about it. Probably only really see a difference on a track with a stop watch lol.
Yup, pretty sure mine aren't starred. I haven't ridden on the Pirellis but I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.
Appreciate 1