View Single Post
      11-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
wassy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Car caught in flood - insurance wants to put in used/recycled engine

Hey all, been a while. Let me start by asking if anyone has access to the BMW official repair guide for the 2018 F90?

My car got caught in a flood here in South Florida a month ago. Having multiple issues. Insurance company demands I put in used/recycled engine since one is available. BMW Lease and warranty prohibit it and isn’t proper according to official repair guidelines which insurer should be following. They are also only paying about 1/2 of the labor hours for the swap. Nonetheless, dealership, nor any other in area will put a used engine in. Incredibly the engine they want to use is from a car who had a frontal end collision. Lol. Not funny. Of course I am not letting this happen under any circumstances. It’s been a month and car just sitting there. Attorney hired yesterday but will be a multi month process most likely.

I can pay the difference they refer to as a “betterment” since a new engine is better then a used engine but with labor and parts and a SUBSTANTIAL discount from BMW and in addition, BMW is putting close to $6000 of their own money in to help reduce cost, my difference is still around $15k it appears. For reference with all the assistance, the engine itself is only $3500 more then the used one. It’s the labor currently that is a huge issue.

I’m trying to show insurer the manufacturer written repair/replacement procedures to help them make a more intelligent choice here. They also refuse to allow new gaskets, hoses bolts etc saying they used engine is drop in ready. WRONG!

That said it’s been a nightmare and going to get worse before it gets better. Not to mention car was towed up to flatbed in Park. Unable
To switch to neutral even with key.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving And thanks for any help in advance.
Appreciate 0