View Single Post
      10-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
I like how they followed Tesla in regards to disingenuously advertising the torque figures before applying a final drive reduction ratio.
A gear reduction reduces speed, not torque. In fact, torque is multiplied. So you get a multiplication from the step-down in the transmission and another from the differential.

Now, it's true that this means the spec isn't directly comparable to the ones you typically see associated with a combustion vehicle. And it's true that this is a marketing tactic. But disingenuous? I suppose, but instead of getting put out by it, since manufacturers nearly always provide transmission gear ratios and final drive ratio for those vehicles, simply calculate their torque at the wheels yourself. Then you're not only more informed, but also less bothered by what the advertising folks are squawking about.

Quote:
Let's start advertising torque figures for vehicles produced in 1st gear.
Most EVs have a single speed transmission (as you know I'm sure), so the thought is, why not advertise wheel torque? You're correct that, with a multi-speed transmission, it would only obfuscate since the vehicle spends time operating at all of the different ratios the transmission offers and thus torque output varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
"Watts to Freedom"
Yeah, kinda corny. Google says that it's launch control for what it's worth.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/g...reedom-launch/
Appreciate 0