Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeladdicts View Post
The rust may have occurred if this happened:

1) watch had condensation
2) watch was opened, seals were changed, and watch was resealed (all at once)

If the exact scenario I mentioned above is done the movement usually still has condensation inside. When the watch is opened and resealed without letting the movement dry completely all you are doing is locking the moisture back in. Usually it is a very small amount and you wont see it until the temperature changes exposing the problem (several months).

Once water goes in you have to disassemble the watch, let it all dry (several days if possible), and then reassemble. Also, this all needs to happen in the same place with a constant temperature. If you do it in a cold room, take the parts to a warm area, and bring them back to the cold you may introduce condensation again.

To be safe also make sure to change the time on a mechanical watch after it has been in the present temperature for a while. For example, if your house is cold inside and you walk outside to sunny 90 degree temps and decide to change the time you are allowing hot air to go in which can cause condensation. Rare but I have seen it happen.
The jeweler I took it to supposedly did that, they kept it for a few days to let it dry out. But the condensation that appeared on the inside the first time was there despite never being opened. I may have just been unlucky, but my Citizens have never let me down

And never having to change batteries again, even better!
Appreciate 0