Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWcoupe View Post
Was there a Father's Day deal
Yes and still going

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
I won't speak on Carlos' behalf, but I believe the tune modifies your stock ECU file(s) so at first glance it will appear stock. However, there's no one tuner that can claim it's 100% undetectable and won't void your warranty.
At the dealership level it remains the same. In the past early on in the F Chassis production there were method of recognizing an upgrade via OBD2. This was corrected after via a patch on most communication tools. Tuning via OBD has been around since '95 and it remains the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
Interpretation:

If you blow an engine and you're tuned you're f*cked .... with that said, and as Carlos states, some tuners stay within a zone they consider "safe" and less prone to catastrophic failure.

We've not yet reached the point where every dealer is searching for tunes when you drop it off for service but rather they search for tunes when you show up with a blown engine and try to get it covered under warranty.

Anything can be detected if BMW decides to "really" look (piggy, ODB tune). Luckily, they usually only look if there's a reason to. I know another forum member was flagged recently for leaving a piggy on the car while having some service performed at the dealership but that was more because it was in plain view and the shop foreman was obviously not mod-friendly.

I've not done anything to my M5 Comp in this regard but both of my F10 M5's had piggys; dealer was made aware of this and I never had an issue (piggy was never removed).

Conclusion: There's a price to play the game ... understand the possible risks and proceed if you can stomach it.
Same goes for suspension modification, exhaust upgrades, and anything intake side. The most obvious being a suspension upgrade which would technically void ALL suspension warranty with good reason. Just the nature of the game and I think the biggest thing missing here is that the nature of tuning has not changed it has ONLY improved over the years. Mod within reason and you will be fine. Mod to the extreme and you will still probably be fine but there are those guys that unfortunately go a little too far and there are consequences. As an enthusiast I don't like to this happen and from a business standpoint have a good track record and some of our members on the team have experience in the BMW community and tuning them dating back to the 95' cars.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. It is great for the community and this is what makes this forum awesome.
Appreciate 1