View Single Post
      03-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Just in case someone searches on this subject.
So its a good news/bad news scenario:

The good news is that shift paddles from an M4 (same paddle as used in a large number of BMWs) will fit an F90 M5.
Its a simple plug and play 10 minute job completed in the same way as demonstrated in the youtube.com/watch?v=11fK9PwrJQ4 video.

The bad news is that once fitted the shift paddles are too tight against the steering wheel and you can't pull the paddle to shift gears.

Not all is lost and it is possible to make some small modifications to make them work but the mods I made are not especially elegant and there is hopefully a better way.

The bottom part of the paddle touches the steering wheel first and has to go.
A simple hacksaw job...completed on the left paddle below.
Secondly the plastic piece has to be repositioned to sit on top of the two silver guides as in the left paddle...indicated by the red arrows.

I ran my car with the modified left paddle for a week or so and it worked fine...if anything it could do with positioned very slightly closer to the steering wheel so a slight modification to the process is in hand.

I much prefer the oem look of the M4 paddles over the oversized after market options...but I get there will not be much interest in the project...anyway its been fun doing it and I can now change a paddle in <5 mins.

Appreciate 0