Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
What's the biggest differences you feel in the G30 M550i and the M5?
This has been discussed all over these forums. The one that cracks me up is "The M550 is not a true M car." Its not supposed to be. It is what it is - BMW just slapped an M in front of the 550. Along with all their other models. Its just another designation. Live with it.

I loved my 550 and M550. They are comfortable and fast. Excellent road cars - great on long, long trips. Way cheaper than the M. But the M is something else. Obviously, the horsepower is probably the main thing. But the suspension upgrades are marvelous. However, I feel one of the most significant upgrades is that you can configure the car 100 different ways, maybe more - I can't figure out the math like I used to. You can put the M550 into sport individual and select how you want to set it up for one button selection. But the M lets you do it for individual parameters - on the fly. 3 engine modes, 3 transmission modes, 6 if you include full manual), 2 steering modes, 3 suspension modes, DSC on or off, 4WD, 4WD rear bias, 2WD. And the myriad combinations to suit your whim or mood. Plus the M1 and M2 buttons - right on the steering wheel so you don't have to look down on the console.

I recently test drove an M850. Really enjoyed it. I miss the rear wheel steering of the M550. Great car. Got back in the M5 and realized I can't drop back down yet, there's too many extra enjoyable goodies on the M. A new M8GC showed up at my local dealer the other day. I'm trying not to go down and test drive it.
Appreciate 0