mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersanj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
agree on most except the smoothness of the zf8at vs dct. my dct is extremely smooth and I think its the brightest spot in the f10 drivetrain. the torque converter alone does not make for a smooth shift but also the calibration. I absolutely despise the zf8at in my e70.

I will reserve final judgement when I drive the F90 but I dont expect an improvement over the dct.
I can't speak to the smoothness of the e70 as I haven't had enough seat time to compare. But DCT in the F80 vs zf8 in my F85 was night and day. That being said it shouldn't be a surprise in improvement from e70 to f85. Same story as SMG2 in the E46 M3 to SMG3 in the e60 M5, almost night and day improvement as generations progressed.
I never drove a zf8 that i liked. that said I haven't drove the one in the f85. i could never get that mechanical feel including gear backlash when decelerating with the ZFAT in manual mode.

but I'm the guy who still misses turbo lag and other oddities in cars. love the SCT in the aventedor. This month's Roundell asserts that you no longer need to use the paddles as the f90 zf8 will always be in the right gear so you can focus on getting the perfect lap speed. Fine if you drive on a track to get to work. I guess I just bemoan less involvement and refinement to the level of being bland.