View Single Post
      01-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #221
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersanj View Post
In all honesty, this DCT vs torque converter discussion seems elementary to me to be honest. For all of you anti-ZF8 arguers, have you driven the F85? Not apples to apples, but at least it's the S63TU mated to the same ZF8 box. I can tell you, the smoothness in normal "D" driving is sublime and Sport+ shifts are DCT level quick. No issues downshifting either. After test driving mine and learning it wasn't a DCT box I was shocked.

That being said, this conversation of "BMW (and M) isn't what it once was blah blah" is hilarious. Half of the people saying this stuff aren't buying the car brand new to begin with. The other half are complaining about the car not being as special as it should be. If BMW has to use the same motor for 2 generations of the M5 (f10 into F90) to make sure that the motor works properly then so be it. Look at every other motor they've made specifically to a chassis in the last 10 years.

-The E46 had horrendous motor problems from VANOS to rod bearings. Ask me how I know.
-The E60 motor is an abomination in terms of reliability and upkeep. New VANOS solenoids are close to $3,000 each right now.
-The E9x M3 motor is a derivative of the S85 which was in production for 3 years before it became the S65.

I could care less if my M car has a one-off motor, as long as it performs (which it does) and as long as I won't be losing sleep over my motor blowing up (which I think they're at with these developed S63s). At the end of the day, the product we're getting today is a much better all around car than those of years past.

We aren't in a scenario where the cars are losing in a straight line to AMG or RS cars, and we still get to keep our handling ability that M is known for. I struggle to understand how people can find a way to complain. End rant.
agree on most except the smoothness of the zf8at vs dct. my dct is extremely smooth and I think its the brightest spot in the f10 drivetrain. the torque converter alone does not make for a smooth shift but also the calibration. I absolutely despise the zf8at in my e70.

I will reserve final judgement when I drive the F90 but I dont expect an improvement over the dct.