View Single Post
      12-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
neoprufrok
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Audio System Build Thread - Focal Subs and Helix Amp/DSP

So when I decided on the options I wanted in my M5 Comp, B&W was high on the list. I've always liked their home stuff and own some of their headphones.

As a background - I do identify as audiophile at home (McIntosh Pre/Pro, Cary Audio Amps, Paradigm Signature Speakers, MIT/Transparent cabling, Rega Turntable, Arcam CD and Wyred For Sound Sonos Connect for Tidal Masters streaming). I go as crazy as room treatments, etc for my listening. So I have "trained ears" which means nothing to most people but having spent 20 years in audiophile-dom I know what I like.. sort of like high end cigars or wine - average person won't know, but someone who consumes a lot and educates themselves will know.

I was excited about the B&W because at base, their mid bass is a Kevlar based one and their tweeters are diamond coated in the BMW. Which is way better than most systems. I read about the problems, and hoped I could tune out with the EQ some stuff. When I listened, I noticed the system does sound good - but requires such high volume to really play well, combined with the glare in the midtreble - it's grating.

Since this is my long distance/daily car - and especially with the driver assistance letting you relax a little more - I wanted to really get the sound system right. My Mclaren is loud. My GT3 Touring is loud (thank you Akrapovic). But those cars aren't for daily... well the GT3 I still drive to work 3 days of the week.

So turned to my friend Ernie at Sound Innovations. He is a great great guy and did work on my previous RS4. Great installs and clean - also can do CF enclosures for lighter weight and does prefer RTA and DSP so he can tune in the cabin for SQ. When he told me a long time ago "I really only care about the front stage with maybe some rear fill" I knew I was talking to the right person.

So we decided to go with the following:

BlackVue DR750x-2Ch LTE Plus

Helix V12 DSP
We found that unlike other BMWs, in the B&W system, each tweeter and mid is separately driven by it's own amp channel - so the V12 will drive 12 channels. These leaves the rear doors out - but I listen to Studio mostly and the rear deck does a more important job of diffuse rear fill so we will power those. This also lets me keep the OEM interface and still change the OEM Sound Mode (Studio, Stage etc) and tweak the EQ to my liking. Ernie will use RTA and use the Helix DSP to make a flat curve for all the speakers combined... and this will be the flat curve on EQ. Allowing me to do whatever I need for the rest.

Helix P2 Amp This will power the 10" Focal Sub in the trunk.

Focal 8" Underseat Subs With better power from the Helix V12 and better SQ, this well help round out the mid bass as it transitions to the Sub.

And finally... (more pics attached - as it looks amazing)...
Focal Utopia 10WM Sub Excited about this. Ernie will be making a custom enclosure that will mount on the side of the trunk - so I can still use the space. The amps will go on the other side.

I'm excited to hear the final result. Having owned the car a month now - it's already a keeper. People ask why not the CS? I have a GT3 Touring Manthey Racing and 675LT to have fun in. I need a car that still is great to drive but more comfortable for my runs to SoCal (every month). This is that car.. the CS I want. But can't justify it as an everyday car.

Will keep you all updated and hope to have more pics soon!
Attached Images

2018 Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic GT3 Touring Manthey Racing and Akrapovic
2018 BMW Yas Marina Blue M4 Competition Convertible
Appreciate 3